Passing various tests to obtain a PCO license proves your skills to become an official PCO driver. One of these tests is the topographical test, also known as the Uber topographical test. You need to own a PCO license as an Uber driver, which proves your skills in map understanding. Well, you will be a better driver if you understand maps and routes better, right? In this article, we discuss more details of the topographical skill test and check a few sample questions to see how this test looks. Let’s dig in to learn all you need about the TFL topographical test.
- What are the PCO License and its requirements?
- What is a topographical test?
- Topographical mock test free: How to prepare for the topographical test?
- Topographical test centres in London: Where to take the test?
- After the topographical test, how long does it take to get the PCO License?
- How to book the topographical test?
- FAQs about the topographical test
What is the PCO License and what are the requirements?
The PCO License, also known as the Private Hire Driver License, is an essential document that allows you to work as a minicab driver or chauffeur, such as working for Uber or other ride-share platforms. The PCO License is valid for three years and is issued by the PCO (Public Carriage Office), which is the department of Transport for London (TfL). It expires after three years, and a renewal for the license is required.
To get a PCO License, you will need to do the process below:
- Complete Criminal DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Check.
- Pass Medical Test.
- Pass Topographical Skills Assessment.
- Topographical Assessment with Uber.
- Pass English Language Test.
- Complete the application form on the TFL Website
What is a topographical test?
Topographical assessment is a sub-field of PCO license that examines your skills in reading and understanding maps and routing methods. Some people think it is a challenging test but, don’t worry! It is not that difficult if you are prepared enough. A way of getting ready for this test is to get familiar with question types through topographical practice tests.
If you wonder where to find topographic map practice tests and sample questions, keep on reading.
Topographical mock test free: How to prepare for the topographical test?
One of the ways to get prepared for the Topographical map test is by taking the mock test freely and online. Many different topographical mock tests are provided free of charge and accessible by various websites. You can find the best ones through the following websites:
- The official website of Topographical skill test: https://topographicalskills.training
- Uber also provides mock tests of Topographical skills: https://www.uber.com/
- Topographical skill test which is a specific website for mock tests of topographic map practice test: https://www.topographical-skills-test.co.uk/
- App driver which is a company in the UK for PCO cars: https://appdriver.co.uk/
Topographical test centres in London: Where to take the test?
There are six approved centres in London (based on what TfL official website says) to take the official PCO license topographical test. The complete information of these six centres are listed in the table below:
|Center||Address||Assessment schedule||More info about the center|
|Bridge Topographical Training Ltd||College of North West London, Wembley Park Drive, Middlesex, HA9 8HP||Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays||https://www.bridgetopographical.co.uk|
|Capstar Chauffeur Ltd||The Farmhouse, Syon Park, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 8JF||Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays||http://www.capstar.co/training/|
|Data Cars Ltd||92-94 Lee High Road, Lewisham, London, SE13 5PT||Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays||https://www.datacars.com/topographical|
|Driver Periodic Training Ltd||Brooklands House, Petersfield Avenue, Slough, SL2 5DY||Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays||http://www.learninginmotion.co.uk/|
|E-Laws Training Ltd||Unit 1B, The Show House, Merton Abbey Mills, Watermill Way, Colliers Wood, London SW19 2RD||Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays||http://www.e-lawstraining.com/tfl-topographical.html|
|The Vehicle Site Ltd||Bridge House (Rear Entrance), 1st Floor, 150 London Road, Barking IG11 8BB||Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays||http://www.topographical-skills-test.co.uk/|
After the topographical test, how long does it take to get the PCO License?
The Topographical test will take at least 1 hour, depending on your ability. The results of this test will be announced in a couple of days. After that, if you have completed all the procedures, it will take a few weeks to publish your PCO license. The whole process of taking the exams, filling the forms, etc., will take about 12 to 16 weeks, and it will cost at least £420 in total.
How to book the topographical test?
To register and take the topographical test, you will have the process below to book the topographical test:
- As soon as you start the registration process for a PCO license, the invitation to book a topographical test comes to you.
- The next step is to confirm the invitation, which costs about £50.
- You don’t need to pay the fee online as the payment is done with cards only on the test day.
- If you missed the invitation, you could check the TFL website or contact 0343 222 4444 to book the test. It is recommended to book the closest date available if you are prepared.
Topographical test exemption
If you are already familiar with all the streets and alleys in London, there is no need to take the topographical test; however, this is determined by TfL. For instance, if you are a taxi driver and want to join Uber, taking a PCO license is excluded from the topographical test as you are already a London expert!
FAQs about topographical test
No test is that difficult if you are prepared. Besides, the topographical tests are not complicated, and you can pass them easily if you take a few mock tests.
Getting 60 or above from 100 clarifies that you have enough map-reading knowledge to be considered passed.
Once you fail the test, there is a second chance to retake the topographical test, but if you fail the second time as well, the whole PCO registration needs to be redone. So, try to use your double chances wisely or experience a PCO withdrawal!
Although it is valid for only six months, you don’t need to retake it after its expiration when your PCO license is still valid
If you are a new PCO driver, yes, it is!