While diesel and petrol cars are considered to be a major contributor in global warming, the demand for electric vehicles has significantly increased. In recent years, car manufactures invested more on designing and producing fully electric cars to meet global needs. Nowadays, electric vehicles become more popular among Uber drivers specially in London. Electric vehicles are not only environmental-friendly but also EV vehicles proved to be more fuel efficient and more convenient.
In this article we will offer a helpful guide on private hire electric vehicles to use as an Uber driver (or other rideshare apps) in London. Do not miss reading it!
Our EV guide includes:
- PCO vehicle requirements in the UK
- What are the advantages of having a fully electric PCO car?
- Where to charge the battery of a PCO car?
- Prices on electric cars to join PHV operators
- List of eligible electric vehicles in the UK to join Uber
- Best electric cars to use for Uber
PCO vehicle requirements in the UK
If you are planning to join a rideshare app such as Uber, you need to meet the vehicle requirements in the UK. The requirement list includes:
- The car model has to be 2008 or newer for vehicles in London and 2006 or newer for cars in other regions of the UK.
- The car should be either a four-door car or a minivan.
- There must not be any commercial branding or stickers on the vehicle.
- The vehicle must be in good condition, and there should be no visible damage to the body.
- The car needs to have the capacity to carry at least five people. (4 passengers and a driver)
- As the final requirement, you need to get a PCO vehicle licence for your car.
At the end of the article, you can read more about the eligible vehicles in the UK to join Uber or other PHV operators.
What are the advantages of having a fully electric PCO car?
There are many reasons to induce you to use an electric car instead of a petroleum-based fuel vehicle for becoming an Uber driver.
You can save more money by having a fully electric car. The savings can be £30 to £200 or even more per week. In more details, the savings are going to be applied to:
Those Uber drivers who use a fully electric car will not need to pay a daily congestion fee of £15 when they enter central London areas during the peak time of 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Which means saving £15 per day! If we consider a daily ride to this zone, about £100 is saved in a week
Full electric cars don’t need petrol as fuel at all. It means saving at least £30 per week. Consider that those who paid more can save more as well. Although you need to pay for charging your EV, this outlay is much less than petrol expenses.
Ultra-Low Emission Zone or ULEZ charge is the daily charge you need to pay for entering the areas regardless of the time and the day. Although rules might be changed in the future, fully electric vehicles are currently free from paying the ULEZ charge of £12.5 per day. Another big save in a week!
Have higher earnings
Uber drivers who use a fully electric vehicle can increase earnings up to 15% per mile as the clean air fee.
This Uber scheme has three main goals:
- Reduce the cost of upgrading the vehicle to a fully electric ones.
- To increase the earnings of Uber drivers.
- Support the Mayor’s vision for a cleaner London.
Helping the environment
Using a fully electric car helps avoid air pollution, and you can also become an environmentally friendly Uber driver! This means making the change for the future and aiding people to have clean air.
Where to charge the battery of my PCO car?
You can charge the electric car either in your house or at charging points. Here are more details:
Charging in house
Use the cable of the car to charge the vehicle before having trips. It will help you save even more on charging expenses. Charging in the house would also have two ways:
- Use the mentioned cable and keep it plugged into your car for about 7-8 hours to be fully charged.
- Equip your house with a wall/pole-mounted home charger by asking an electrician to have a faster charge for less than £8 fee in about 5-6 hours.
Fast charging points
You can also use a fast charge in case of need for about 20 or 30 minutes in rapid charge points provided by TfL (Transport for London) in different parts of the city. Up to now, there are thousands of fast charging points only in London.
Prices on electric cars
Many people assume that hiring a fully electric car to join Uber is not reasonable as it costs more. As we mentioned, you can save up to £200 or even more per week by using an electric vehicle as your PCO car. So, don’t you think it is worth paying £50 more on electric vehicles to save £200?
One of the most popular fully electric vehicles hired in the UK by Uber drivers is the Kia Niro PCO car which is available in G&M Direct Hire for a £270 rental fee.
List of eligible electric cars in the UK to join Uber
Here we have included a list of approved electric vehicles by the UK government. This list is provided by Uber’s official website. (the list is in alphabetical order)
- Alfa Romeo
- JAC Motors
- Land Rover
Best electric cars to use for Uber
As the mentioned list of the car brands is too complex, you might get confused about which car to use as the best electric car for Uber in London. Therefore, it is not a bad idea to know the top 5 full electric PCO cars in London, so that you can decide better.
- Kia Niro
- Nissan Leaf
- Volkswagen ID-3
- Hyundai Ioniq Electric
In the end, it is up to you to choose your preferred car.
In the days of the environmental crisis, you can be the change to help keep the earth a suitable home for future generations. This change can be done by using a fully electric vehicle instead of petrol-based cars. This article mentioned how you could save more money as an Uber driver by driving a fully electric vehicle. We also provided a complete list of accepted cars by Uber in the UK. You also got familiar with 5 of Uber drivers’ most popular electric vehicles.